Speaking with my veterinarian about MDR1 testing my pure breed rough collie Huxley a few years ago, she also recommended that I test Cardigan Welsh corgi Brychwyn. This surprised me but she explained that many pure and mixed breed dogs are susceptible to the Multi-Drug Resistant 1 genetic mutation that can cause severe reactions to many common veterinary drugs. Through my research in deciding whether or not a collie was the right breed for me, I had learned a lot about MDR1, how it effects production of the protein that plays an important role in limiting drug absorption and distribution (particularly to the brain) called P-glycoprotein and enhances the excretion/elimination of many drugs used in dogs. However, until this conversation with my vet, I was not aware that the MDR1 mutation could effect so many types of dogs.
- Kit includes instructions o DNA cheek swabs – all for use on one dog, drying insert for swabs , pre-paid return shipping box
- Covers 250+ breeds, types and varieties including all those recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) and can be run for mixed-breed, designer, or purebred dogs.
- Provides ancestry information back to the great-grandparent level,
- MDR1 Genetic Mutation screening results, and a predicted weight profile.
- Can be done at home and consists of two swabs that the owner rubs between the gum and the cheek for 15 seconds to collect skin cells for DNA extraction.
- Results take approximately 2-3 weeks from the time the test reaches the lab.
- Can be run for mixed-breed, purebred and designer dogs. The owner chooses at the time of kit activation.
The health benefits of DNA testing dogs go beyond knowing MDR1 status. Other Wisdom Panel® 3.0 benefits include:
- The ability to develop a training program that works with their natural instincts (breeds) and a better understanding their behavior characteristics.
- Developing a nutrition plan for breed-specific needs and/or achieving/maintaining healthy weight.
- Assists in determining what the adult size of your dog might be.
- Understanding the breeds within your dog, in order to lookout for any breed-specific health concerns or common issues.
Want to learn more about Wisdom Panel® 3.0, have you dog tested for just $39.99 or get a take home test for the discounted price of discounted price of $49.99 (MSRP $84.99)? Be sure to find Wisdom Panel at the Amazing Pet Expo in Austin, TX, Mars Pet Adoption Fair in Franklin, TN and Amazing Pet Expo Holiday in Los Angeles, CA, events.