The Fourth of July is just around the corner and fit dogs need their exercise despite the dog dangers of the holiday. Responsible people know it is not safe to take dogs to any holiday celebrations with fireworks but can fit dogs get enough exercise without risking injury or trauma? Fitting in fit dog time is not always easy or convenient but getting fit dogs enough safe exercise around fireworks heavy holidays can be done. Here are our fit dog Fourth of July tips:
- Bookend Fireworks Day With Fitness Days: Plan some extra special fit dog outings the day(s) before and after the fireworks heavy holiday. Go on a long hike somewhere new, schedule a play date, try a new dog park or sign up for a dog sport class, workshop or fun run. With a lot of excitement leading up to and after the 4th, it is possible you fit dog will be happy to take a day off!
- See The Sunrise: Get up and out early for your fit dog time on the day most people will be bringing out their heavy fireworks artillery.
- Seek Solace: Go on a pet friendly road trip to somewhere with less or no fireworks. This could be a day trip or multiple day vacation. Fireworks are not allowed in most campgrounds and many parks. Search the internet or ask around for quiet, fireworks free or less places near-by.
- Extra Intensity: Fit dogs accustomed to moderate intensity exercises can get worn out faster (before or between fireworks noise) if the intensity of the exercise is taken up a notch. Try to speed up your walk, add a few hills or do some intervals. If you get extra sweaty, your dog is working harder too!
- Timing Is Everything: In most neighborhoods, fireworks begin to get going just after dark so if fit dogs get high intensity exercise before the majority of the fireworks begin to explode, humans and fit dogs will enjoy the rest of the evening a lot more. Jason and I sometimes make a game of hurrying outside... it speeds up our walk or adds excitement to playing i the yard. And if we aren't home or done playing yet but we hear an explosion, we cheerily run the dogs back to the house. If you're a night owl, you can even go out for some fit dog time late, after the fire works have subsided.
- There's Safety Indoors: Shut the windows, turn on all the white noise you can in your house (fans, music, television) and get out the toys: tug toys, balls, puzzles, anything and everything. Playhide and seek, do some basic training, stretch and massage, make some tunnels with blankets and some jumps with pillows. The possibilities are endless!
No matter what you do to keep your fit dog moving while staying safe from fireworks on the Fourth of July, remember that if you are going to any event where there will be fireworks, you dog will be happier and safer at home. Don't leave your dog in the car or in the yard and even if your dog is used to playing off leash, keep the leash on when there is risk fireworks may spook your dog. Don't say it will never happen to your dog... most of the signs people post searching for their lost dog on the 5th of July say "our dog has never run off before." Also remember that if you head out for fit dog time on the 5th of July your neighborhood and even your yard may be littered with dangerous for dogs fireworks remnants.
Please leave any of your fit dog Fourth of July tips in the comments.